Sunday, December 30, 2012


Hubby took this week off.  Christmas week and what could be better than your husband taking a week off to spend with his family?  This is even more true when the kids are also home and are excited to have him be there.

That is unless you're sick.
And your 4 year old.

Wednesday I was out and about and noticed that I couldn't seem to warm up.  I mean I really couldn't warm up.  I was tired so I went to bed early wearing sweatpants, sweatshirt, turtleneck and socks... and I was still cold.  For some reason this didn't concern me too much, I just thought I was still cold from being outside... 6 hours earlier.  My back was also hurting but again, I assumed it was from the activities I had been doing earlier in the day.  Once in bed, I continued to wake up every 30 minutes or less until around midnight when I finally fell asleep for good.  Or rather I was asleep for good until Monkey came in our room crying.

Monkey had woken up with a bad dream.  Usually the best thing for him is to give him a hug and walk him back to bed.  By now I really wasn't feeling good (was it because it was 3am, I wasn't sure), but I told Hubby to do just that.  He came back in our room a little while later and announces that he has a fever of 103.5.  Now any normal mother would have gotten up to take care of her baby, I could barely move.  (Please give me some credit, I did question when we were supposed to go to the hospital, we've never had fevers that high.  I told Hubby where the medicine was as well.  I'm not completely cold hearted.)  I left the nurse-care to Hubby and collapsed backwards, woke up a half hour later and he still wasn't in bed.  I figured Hubby would have gotten me if he needed me so I fell back asleep again.

The next day the 2 of us were fairly miserable although Monkey did seem to bounce back from it sooner.  I slept.

For the next 3 days I slept all day and went to bed early.  I ate and drank almost nothing and watched my own fever get up to the mid 103's.  I hate crazy sick fever dreams that only occur when you are truly sick, i.e. not staying at home because you have a "headache" when really your headache is an Algebra test you aren't prepared for.  Now at one point in my life being able to sleep all day would have been wonderful (mostly in my early teens when, yes, I was capable of sleeping until 11am) but now that I'm a Grown Up, I actually had plans for our week of with Daddy.  I had ideas and places we could go to, me sleeping on the couch was not one of them.  At all.

To be fair though, I'm happy he was home.  It may not have been the best vacation for him but I'm not sure how I could have handled it on my own.  He did everything, feeding them and taking them to speech, and taking care of me.  A couple of times he called me into the kitchen to eat and I sat up to go and collapsed back down.  When that happened he would bring me food and then clear away the almost completely untouched plate.

Sunshine was awesome too.  Someday she is going to make a great nurse, doctor, vet - mom.  She would come and gently rub my back, cuddle next to me but not on me.  She would make sure no one was fighting so I could rest and she made sure I had water to drink.  Monkey brought me water too, he gave it to me and said, "I brought you water Mommy.  Wasn't that nice of me?  It's because I love you so much."

I'm not sure how people are able to do everything on their own as it is and I can't imagine doing it when I'm that sick.

The silver lining in all of this?  I've lost all of the holiday weight I gained in a matter of 3 days.  I really am a lucky girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment