Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

A new day

I've been riding horses since I was 13 years old.  I am certainly not the best rider and I would never take claim that I was, but I enjoy it and it has always been a way for me to relax, exercise and get away from the troubles of the day.  I have been so incredibly fortunate that my mom is the one who owns the horse and I'm able to ride whenever I want.  There are no lessons and no extra bills.  All I have to do is help her keep the horse in shape and keep him from getting too obnoxious with his bad habits.

Over the past 5 years I haven't been able to get out as much.  Even if I wanted, my mom would not allow me to ride once I found out I was pregnant.  Her horse, her rules.  After the baby was born comes the nursing issues.  Normally nursing has never gotten in the way of things, but with this it's a bit trickier.  The barn is a good 45 minutes from my house so I need to rely on either my parents to watch the kids (as well as a nursing baby who won't take a bottle) or hope that Hubby will be home to watch them.  Often when I go out I have at least Sunshine with me and my mom will come out to keep an eye on her.  It's nice, but certainly not the relaxing time that I used to have.

Tonight though was different.  I left all 3 of them at my parents' house and went for a ride.  It was wonderful.  I jumped him for the first time in years and he did exactly what he always did - race to them and take an enormous spot.  A little work and we got it under control - kind of.  The owner of the barn was out and helping me get back into the swing of things.

It may not have been a beautiful ride and anyone watching could have seen that it wasn't right but it felt "right".  It felt like I was home where I was supposed to be.  It felt like my first jump when everything felt so alive and a freedom that I have never been able to find anywhere else.

It felt like a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment