Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Hello? Hello?

We have 3 cordless phones in our house, usually they all end up in our kitchen and family room buried in the couch cushions and you can only find them after the caller has hung up.  But, that's not what this is about.  We also have 1 corded phone upstairs in our bedroom.  The other day I was upstairs in my bedroom talking to Hubby when I hear a very quiet "Hi".

Interference?  Did you hear that?

"Hi."  Again.  What on earth, where is that coming from?

"Hi, Daddy."

Oh, why did I even question it?  It happens all the time.  Monkey had picked up the corded phone and decided to join in on the conversation.  "Hi Monkey, put the phone down.  I'm trying to talk."

Sunshine, who apparently had never known of this fun game, didn't want to be left out.  She takes the phone from her little brother and to my amazement, starts talking into the earpiece.  She's holding the phone so the earpiece is up to her mouth and the mouthpiece is down by her chest.  This isn't a microphone Sunshine.  I tried to tell her to put that part up to her ear and talk into the other end.  She retorts, "I just want to talk to Daddy."

"Sunshine, you need to put it by your ear.  Turn it around."

"I just like to hold it like this."  Stubborn child.

Finally after we hung up with Hubby, I sat down and showed her how to hold and use a corded phone.  No pushing talk or extra buttons.  Just pick it up, dial, and put the earpiece by the ear.

"Sunshine, you hold the phone like this.  Can you hear it now?"

"Ooooh, I didn't know that!"

Obviously.

It's a new generation we live with.  One that doesn't understand phones that plug into walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment