Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Sherry Roast Duck

OMG!  I found this recipe on all recipes and it was the best!  On a complete whim, I decided to buy a whole duck.  I have never made a duck and have only had it a couple of times when I've been out to dinner.  I didn't know how to cook it or what to serve it with.  It wasn't a cheap whim and I didn't want to mess it up.  I decided to check out Allrecipes.com and see what looked interesting.  I've never cooked with sherry, rosemary isn't always my favorite herb, but for some reason, I decided to give it a try.  Since it wasn't cheap, I decided to make it for a special New Year dinner.  The following recipe is for a 4lb duck, increase the amount depending on how large the duck is.


1 (4 pound) frozen duck
6 Tbsp olive oil (divided)
2 cups dry sherry (divided)
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp dried rosemary
1 Tbsp dried basil


Directions:
1.  Partially thaw duck in the refrigerator.  The skin should be soft but the insides should still be frozen.  Take the duck out of the wrapping and stab the duck 15 to 20 times, making sure to penetrate past the layer of fat (go in approximately 3/4").  This is very important for the marinating process.
2.  In a large mixing bowl, mix 1 cup sherry and 3 Tbsp olive oil.  Place the duck in the mixing bowl.  Spread the sherry and olive oil all over the duck.  Cover the bowl well and refrigerate until fully thawed.*
3.  Make a paste using 3 Tbsp olive oil, oregano, rosemary and basil.  Remove duck from oil/sherry marinade and place duck in roasting pan, reserve marinade, and remove neck bone and giblets.  Spread some of the oil/sherry marinade into the duck.  Rub the paste onto and inside of the duck.  Pour remaining cup of sherry into the bottom of a roasting pan.  Preheat oven to 375F while the duck marinates.
4.  Roast for about 30 minutes per 1lb.  Baste every 30-45 minutes.


*The recipe says over night works best.  I was worried that it wasn't completely thawed the next day, so it marinated from Dec. 30 to Jan. 1st.

I served with garlic sautéed asparagus, baked sweet potatoes, corn, and rolls.  The kids tried it all and loved the duck,( and the sweet potatoes but that's not what this post is, is it :).)



Vicky

No comments:

Post a Comment