Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

The things that happen in my bed

It's amazing the things that can happen to you in bed.  Take two nights ago, it amazes me even now.  It was about 3:30 am, there I am, sound asleep, dreaming of something and lying at a 45degree angle (mostly on Hubby's side of the bed).  I wake up with some kind of pain in my back.  What was that?  I try to ignore it because, frankly, I'm tired and I don't want to get up.  If I ignore the pain it will go away.  It didn't.  I start moving and shifting and eventually end up waking Hubby up.


Practical Hubby tells me to go to the bathroom.  I get up and am doubled over in pain.  This cannot possibly be good.  I "go" to the bathroom but refuse to get up.  Maybe that's what the pain is and the pain will eventually go away. 


It doesn't.


This must be what back labor feels like.


Then it hits me.  Wouldn't that be awful if I were one of those women who went 9 months without know she was pregnant!  I suddenly understood how those women might not recognize what the labor pains were and vowed that if a baby suddenly appeared in the toilet I wouldn't just stare at it as some of the women do but would promptly pick up and wrap him/her in a towel.


Obviously this was not the case as I am not the mom of a new baby.


After 1 1/2 hours of painful nothing-ness, I crawl/stumble back to bed and sleep/snooze the next 1 hour.  When I wake again I tell Hubby that maybe I should go to the ER.  I call my mom and she is able to come over in about an hour.  Hubby helps me dress and while I'm in the process of dressing I barf.  Since I am an adult I got it in a bucket and not on our new carpet.


By the time we leave we decide to go to urgent care.  Now an HMO is great... when nothing is wrong with you.  Otherwise it kind of sucks.  I called them because, God forbid, I can't go to urgent care on my own and I needed a referral.  Instead of getting a referral, I'm told to come into their office of an 11:30 appointment.  Gee, thanks.  I'm in pain and I have to wait 3 more hours.


Regardless, I don't want to spend an extra $100 on a visit that my insurance won't pay for.


Of course the first 2 questions out of her mouth?  "What happened?"  "What were you doing?"


"I was in bed sleeping and I hurt my back."  Really?  I have to tell people that I pulled a muscle so bad that I compared it to child birth and it happened while I was sleeping?  How embarrassing.

Vicky

No comments:

Post a Comment