Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Milwaukee

We just got back from Milwaukee, yes another trip, and had a wonderful time.  The Wisconsin State Fair was last weekend and I got to go to a state fair for the first time with my kids.  We watched the cows in the barns for a looong time.  Sunshine liked the Jersey cows best where Monkey preferred the Holsteins.  Monkey was a bit confused as to why the poor cows had something between their legs like that.  Some of the poor cows were so full they could hardly walk and were dripping milk along the way.  All I could think was "I feel your pain."  Seeing them waddle to the milking station made us thirsty so we went over to the milk stand.  A full 8oz of fresh cold milk for $.25 and with a choice of 6 flavors to add to it.  We chose cherry, root beer and banana.  The banana brought me back to when Nesquick used to have banana powder mix, it was just as good as I remembered.  The root beer tasted like a float.  Mmmm,  mmmm milk!



The next day we visited he Milwaukee County Zoo.  If you ever get a chance to visit this zoo, I highly recommend it.  First of all, it's shaded, any parent who has taken their child to a sunny zoo in the middle of summer knows how painful it is to stand there for 15 minutes staring at the lion who is just as hot as you.  All the animals were active and their enclosures had grass, ponds, trees, sometimes even multiple species in one enclosure.  We were also able to see the whole thing in our one day visit, which is a good/bad thing.  Of course this is just pure luck, but in the reptile house there was a king cobra and this thing was moving!  Not just a little either, I mean this snake was pushing his little frozen mice around waiting for them to move, he went for a little mini swim in his pool, he even opened his hood a bit, although I'm not sure at what.  We have video footage of him right in front of Sunshine standing about 1' and right in her face.  My little animal lover didn't bat an eye, she simply said "Look at his tongue.  I think he's trying to smell me."  My smart little girl.


Next day we went to the "The Domes" the local conservatory.  Beautiful building inside and out.  I could have spent a lot longer in there but the kids were done.  Of course my husband who loves taking pictures of every single flower we pass, forgot to bring his camera.  We did have his iPhone but it's just not the same.  As a reward for good behavior, I let the kids pick out a cactus.  I was a little perturbed though, it wasn't labelled as to what kind of cactus it was and when I asked the lady behind the gift shop counter she said she didn't know.  You work in a conservatory and you don't know the type of plant that you're selling.  I looked it up when we got home, turns out it's just about the most commonly bought cactus out there.  I also learned that cacti are not as low maintenance as I had previously thought.  There was a huge list of do's and do nots.  Regardless, Spikey is here to stay.  Sunshine insisted that he have a nickname so we agreed that his name would be Spikey with a nickname of Spike.


All in all a nice weekend away with the family and in-laws.


Vicky

No comments:

Post a Comment