Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Monkey's birth story

When I was pregnant I  had a feeling he was a boy but questioned if the feeling was because I already had a girl.  Compared to my pregnancy with Sunshine, there weren't the many differences as some people claim.  Yes, I carried lower but I had already had a baby and my muscles were already stretched (a lot).  I had some heart burn but not as much, it was probably because he wasn't as high as Mary.  Yes, I craved pickles and other salty items but refused to admit my sudden newfound love of garlic pickles was anything more than mere coincidence, my Christmas stocking being filled with 2 jumbo jars of these salty spears from heaven was no different than a box of truffles.

My labor was much more exciting.  I thought I might be in labor early in the morning so we went in*.  No, I was only 1cm dilated so we went home.  Instead, I did what any woman who is 39 weeks pregnant and potentially in labor should do, I got up on a ladder and finished doing the finishing touches on nursery walls.  Later, the 3 of us watched a movie, I was writing down contractions, when I remembered, they didn't really hurt and I was really interested in watching the movie.

It was 6:30, I stood up and had a very strong contraction.  I looked at my sheet and realized they were at 3, 6, and 9 minutes apartment.  Remember when I said I forgot to write them down?  Yeah, I was missing those contractions.  It was a strong contraction and there was no mistaking or forgetting this one, we waited and sure enough, I had 2 more.  I decided to call the hospital, they seemed confused as to why I was calling asking about coming in when my contractions were only 3 minutes apart.

Needless to say we left.  Bundled Sunshine up to head over to the hospital.  The contractions never really slowed down and half way there my water broke.  This is one of those moments that I am grateful to Hubby and his paranoia and hoarding, he had placed one of those soaker pads you get from the hospital on the seat (this would be the extra soaker pad he saved from when I had Sunshine).

Fifteen minutes of chaos with poor Sunshine witnessing it all.  My parents arrived in time to shove her out of the room and for me to push out Monkey.  Two pushes and out he popped, blue and not breathing.  They got him going again and he was fine.  He came out weighing 7 lbs 12 oz and 19", 5 ounces more than Sunshine.  It was a whirlwind of a delivery and as soon as I was done, my adrenaline was pumping and I was ready to do it again.  I remember thinking, "Let's do that again!"  His delivery was probably the best, and I'd love to give birth again if I could have a delivery like his.



He was absolutely amazing and perfect and all those things that every mother says about their baby.




Vicky
*If you think you are in labor, you probably aren't.

No comments:

Post a Comment